Some new seal publications are now available, the pertinents are posted below.
Lacoste, K. and G. Stenson. 2000. Winter distribution of harp seals (Phoca groenlandica) off eastern Newfoundland and southern Labrador. Polar Biol 23:805-811.
Wagermann, R. et al. 2000. Mercury species in the liver of ringed seals.
Science of the Total Environment 261(1-3): 21-32.
Becker, P.R. 2000. Concentration of chlorinated hydrocarbons and heavy
metals in Alaska Arctic marine mammals. Marine Pollution Bulletin 40(10):
Habitat use and habitat selection by spotted seals (Phoca largha) in the
Bering Sea L.F. Lowry, V.N. Burkanov, K.J. Frost, M.A. Simpkins, R. Davis,
D.P. DeMaster, R. Suydam, and A. Springer Pages 1959-1971 Canadian Journal of Zoology Volume 78, Number 11, November 2000
Indications of two genetically different subpopulations of Atlantic
walruses (Odobenus rosmarus rosmarus) in west and northwest Greenland L.W. Andersen and E.W. Born Pages 1999-2009 Canadian Journal of Zoology Volume 78, Number 11, November 2000
Developmental changes in circulatory vitamin A (retinol) and its transport
proteins in free-ranging harbour seal (Phoca vitulina) pups Wendy Simms
and Peter S. Ross Pages 1862-1868 Canadian Journal of Zoology Volume 78,
Number 10, October 2000
Grey seal, Halichoerus grypus, habitat selection around haulout sites in
the Baltic Sea: bathymetry or central-place foraging? M. Sjoberg and John
P. Ball Pages 1661-1667 Canadian Journal of Zoology Volume 78, Number 9,
Diet of harp seals (Pagophilus groenlandicus) in nearshore northeast Newfoundland: Inferences from stable-carbon (d13C) and nitrogen (d15N) isotope analyses. Lawson, J.W.; Hobson, K.A. Marine Mammal Science 16(3):578-591.
Canine distemper virus in a Caspian seal. Forsyth, MA; Kennedy, S; Wilson, S; Eybatov, T; Barrett, T. VETERINARY RECORD. December 12, 1998 v143 i24 p662-664
Limited intra-specific variation in male grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) dominance relationships in relation to variation in male mating success and female availability. Twiss, SD; Anderson, SS; Monaghan, P. JOURNAL OF ZOOLOGY. November 1998 v246 part3 p259-267
Ringed Seals in the North Atlantic. NAMMCO Scientific Publications - Volume 1
Details on the book can be found on the NAMMCO website: www.nammco.no
This new book includes the following papers:
- R.R. Reeves: Distribution, abundance and biology of ringed seals (Phoca hispida): an overview.
- C. Lydersen: Status and biology of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) in Svalbard.
- S.E. Belikov and A.N. Boltunov : The ringed seal (Phoca hispida) in the western Russian Arctic.
- T. Sipilä and H. Hyvärinen: Status and biology of Saimaa (Phoca hispida saimensis) and Ladoga (Phoca hispida ladogensis) ringed seals.
- R.R. Reeves, G. Wenzel and M.C.S. Kingsley: Catch history of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) in Canada.
- J. Teilmann and F.O. Kapel: Exploitation of ringed seals (Phoca hispida in Greenland.
- E.W. Born, J. Teilmann and F. Riget: Abundance of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) in the Kong Oscars Fjord, Scoresby Sund and adjacent areas, eastern Greenland.
- T. Härkönen, O. Stenman, M. Jüssi, I. Jüssi, R. Sagitov and M. Verevkin: Population size and distribution of the Baltic ringed seal (Phoca hispida botnica).
- M.C.S. Kingsley: The numbers of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) in Baffin Bay and associated waters.
- M.C.S. Kingsley and T.J. Byers: Failure of reproduction in ringed seals (Phoca hispida) in Amundsen Gulf, Northwest Territories in 1984-1987.
- F.O. Kapel, J. Christiansen, M.P. Heide-Jørgensen, T. Härkönen, E.W. Born, L.Ø. Knutsen, F. Riget and J. Teilmann: Netting and conventional tagging used to study movements of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) in Greenland.
- H. Siegstad, P.B. Neve, M.P. Heide-Jørgensen and T. Härkönen: Diet of the ringed seal (Phoca hispida) in Greenland.
- R. Dietz, P. Paludan-Müller, C.T. Agger and C.O. Nielsen: Cadmium, mercury, zinc and selenium in ringed seals (Phoca hispida) from Greenland and Svalbard.